Yet another one of my hare-brained schemes? Woohoo!
This one came about because I was staring absent-mindedly at a pop-tab on a ginger-ale can, and a little voice in the back of my head said, ‘Hey, this would make a great bottle opener!’. Yeah. Sometimes I confuse even myself. So without further ado, let’s get this project going!
Here is the offending ginger-ale can. Now you know what to blame.
The first thing to do was, obviously, to take the measurements of the tab, and create a ratio to plug the maximum width into, so I could… um… w-well, uh…
HAHA NEVER MIND LET’S JUST FREEHAND IT SHALL WE?
Well, after that embarrassing mishap, I managed to get back on track, and freehanded the shape onto a 2″ x 1/8″ bar of aluminium.
Then I cut the outside to shape with an 18 teeth per inch blade on my hacksaw.
Next I drilled a couple holes in the bits that were supposed to have holes in them, then sawed and filed them into shape, as well as rounding the sharp edges.
Now just to test it on a bottle, and… oh. Um. I-it doesn’t work.
Huh. I guess it’s time to break out the actual bottle opener.
I traced the shape of the hole on this opener onto the smaller hole of my pop-tab, then filed it down to that shape.
And it’s done! Believe it or not, it actually does open bottles, so I’ll definitely be using this the next time a bottle needs opening!
Well, that’s all for this time. God bless, and I’ll see you next time!