Violin Repairs

I play the violin. I am also very easily bugged by small details. So when I saw that my friends had a broken, but very nice and easily fixable violin slowly dying in a corner, I had to do something about it. I asked if I could take it home and work on it and they said yes, so when I got home, I started right away.

IMG_2367.JPG

As you can see, the most pressing problem was a missing E string. I happen to have broken a string on my violin before, so I had a whole set of spares. There’s probably a real way to tell which string is which (maybe something to do with the colour?) but I just judge based on the thickness of the strings. The thinnest is the E string, and the next is the A. The D string is next, and the G is the thickest. There are a whole bunch of tutorials on how to string a violin, so I shan’t go into detail here. Besides, the process is pretty instinctive anyway. Then I tuned it. Here it is all strung up.

IMG_2368.JPG

That was really the only thing wrong with the violin, so at this point, I moved on to the bow.

IMG_2369.JPG

The problem here was that the metal “ferrule” (for lack of a better word and because I don’t know what to call it) had broken off from the frog (the black boxy bit with the white pin in it) so the only thing keeping it together was the horsehair. The first thing I tried was super-glue,

IMG_2370.jpg

but that didn’t seem to hold, so I started coming up with all sorts of complicated schemes when I remembered something I had seen on a guitar channel: The Baking Soda and Super-Glue trick. Would it work? I had no idea. So naturally, I tried it. It’s basically what it sounds like. You spread a bead of super-glue on the surface that needs glueing, then you sprinkle baking soda on it. Supposedly, the baking-soda-glue-combo forms a rigid composite material that sticks like super-glue but cures instantly. And guess what? It did! I was genuinely surprised that it didn’t just explode. Unfortunately, it does leave a thick bead of crusty composite, but I suppose it could just be carved or sanded off. But I digress. Here’s the bow fixed.

IMG_2372.JPG

Then I tightened it to test it under tension. Normally, this is the part where everything snaps, but to my great relief, this held. And that was all! Now just to build my own…

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Violin Repairs

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s