Joiner Plane

Hello everyone! I’m so sorry for not posting last week. I have no excuses, save that I was working on a new project. So, here it is! Be sure to read to the end. But first, have some explanation:

This project started when I was trying to edge-join some boards. If you don’t know what edge-joining is, it’s basically when you have some boards, and you want to glue the edges together to create a wider board.

 This is difficult when you have no way of easily knowing when your edges are perfectly square, and even harder when your square isn’t even square itself. It was then that I had an idea. What if, I wondered, I had a hand plane that also had a registering edge that squared the blade? I was sure that nobody had ever done this before. If they had, I’m sure I’d have heard of it. So I got to work, completely forgetting that I had to take pictures. I do, however, have a few pictures of the results of my labours, so here they are. This first one is “V1.0”, and it was just to experiment. It and V2.0 don’t have the registering edge, but here’s a sort of idea of what it should look like. 
I think it’s pretty obvious how it was made, but for all y’alls who don’t, here is the explanation: I cut a piece of 2×4 to about an inch-and-a-half, cut an angle into them, glued two sides on, and secured the blade with a screw and washer.

  The blade itself looks like this, and is made of 01 tool steel.

 Immediately, some problems manifested themselves. The plane was too blocky, the front was too tall and didn’t allow for easy access to the chips, and the one screw wasn’t enough to hold it secure. To fix these problems, I came up with a second version, which I actually did photograph. I started with a piece of pallet wood roughly the same size as the body of the first plane:

  I then planed it and drew my angles on it.

You all know what I’m doing here, I presume?

Next, I cut the piece on the left down and glued the whole thing together. I also drilled two holes for the screws, but I didn’t show that here.

 Here, I was almost done, but for two things: width, and unreliability. If I were to plane with this, I would like it to plane all the way to the edge, and this one was at least half an inch wider than my blade. Also, even if I had it planing all the way to the edge, I would still need to nullify the width of the outer wall (the one holding the plane together) by adding a ledge of the exact same width to the fence (remember the diagram at the beginning?), and pallet wood is notoriously, infuriatingly, and almost predictably


 Made of walnut and aluminium, V3.0 is much better than the others. I shrank the body down to one inch to eliminate gaps, and the sides down to only one eighth.
 Now that I had the final prototype, it was time to make the fence. I started with a piece of two inch aluminium, and measured it to have exactly an inch-and-a-bit-ish overhang from the bottom. Next, I measured that same length on another piece of aluminium, cut it (did you know you can use wood blades on a hacksaw for aluminium?), and glued them together with CA (cyanoacrylate) glue, or super-glue. After that had dried, I drilled and counter-sunk some screw holes, and screwed the parts together.

 Et c’est fini! By the way, I might sell some of these later this year, if I can figure the process out, so look out for that.

But anyway, hope you guys enjoyed, God bless, and I will see you (at least figuratively!) in the next post. Bye!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s